Here are few tips on how to care for your countertops so you could enjoy them for years to come!
- Natural Stone (Granite, Marble, Quartzite & Onyx)
- Quartz or Engineered Stone
- Purchase Natural Stone Surface Cleaning Products
Maintenance & Cleaning:
- - Clean your countertop with a few drops of mild dish washing detergent and warm water. Use a clean cloth for best results.
- - Rinse the surface thoroughly after washing with the soap solution and dry with a soft cloth. Change the rinse water frequently.
- - Do not use products that contain lemon, vinegar or other acids on the granite. The high acid content may etch the surface & may make it look dull.
- - To keep your countertop stain free clean any spills such as grease, wine, vinegar or coffee etc immediately.
- - Each granite has different absorption levels for water and other liquids, thus care must be taken to wipe the counters clean after usage or within 1-2 hours, whichever is earlier.
- - Your countertops are sealed by us during installation. Darker colors require re-sealing less often vs. lighter colors. Sealers typically last for 4-5 years of regular home use. Use spray-on sealers to re-seal your countertop. Sealers can be purchased from us or any home improvement store. When re-sealing evenly spray sealer on clean dry countertops and allow to set for 4-5 hours.
Removal of Stain from Granite:
- - If you have an accidental spill on your granite countertop, wipe up with a paper towel as soon as possible. While granite is very stain-resistant, should a stain occur, use a Poultice ( mixture of baking soda, water (or mineral spirits) and white flour that you mix to the consistency of peanut butter). Apply poultice to the stain approximately ¼” thick and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to cure for 24 to 48 hours. Stubborn stains may take a few applications.
- - Oil-based Stains: Use a poultice with baking soda and water OR mineral spirits.
- - Organic Stains: Use a poultice with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide solution OR acetone.
Engineered stone comprises of 93% natural quartz which helps make your countertop a low maintenance surface that is resistant to scratches and stains. Engineered stone is also heat-resistant making it capable of enduring heat from a hot pan for short durations, however to avoid possible damage, a trivet or hot pad is recommended. With proper care and maintenance engineered stone countertops will remain beautiful and durable for many years.
- - Normal cleaning of engineered stone requires only a damp cloth and mild household detergent. A list of acceptable cleaning products is given below. For best results, clean spills as soon as possible. Engineered stone is resistant to most stains including wine, lemon juice, tea, fruits and vegetables without permanently staining or damaging the countertop.
Cleaning Stains and Dried Spills:
- - For tougher stains mild non-abrasive cleaners are a good solution to keeping the surface looking like new. For dried spills a non-abrasive scrub pad can be used. Rinse thoroughly and wipe with a damp cloth to remove all residue. While engineered stone is generally able to withstand most household chemicals avoid using harsh chemicals or products that contain bleach. For tougher spots from items such as gum, grease, paint, food etc. scrape off the residue with a razor blade or putty knife prior to cleaning.
Waxes and Sealing:
One of the many benefits of engineered stone is that it requires no sealants or waxes to be applied during its lifetime. Because it is non-porous a sealer will not absorb into the material and would be ineffective. With normal cleaning procedures your countertop will always retain its luster. Following are recommended commercial cleaners that are available for the routine care of your engineered stone/quartz surface:
- - Simple Green Lime-scale remover
- - Vinegar cleanser (diluted)
- - Bar Keepers Friend
- - Formula 409 Glass and Surface Cleaner
- - Lysol
- - Greased Lightning
To place an order call us on 312-427-8663 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stonecare 3 in 1 Cleaner, Polisher, Protector
Cleans, Polishes & Protects all types of stones.
Seals and protects all types of stone, apply every 24-36 months.