How to choose Granite countertop color
One of the most important design factors in any kitchen is the countertop color.
Below, you’ll find the most important things to keep in mind when choosing a granite countertop color for your home.
- Find a granite warehouse with a large selection. You want to make sure you have the ability to see all of the available colors and not just a few little samples on a board. Also make sure that they have full slabs of granite for you to see.
- When you visit the warehouse, bring your cabinet sample or a door from your existing cabinets. Hold the sample up to the granite as you find ones you like. You should be able to tell right away if it is a good match or not.
- If you are building a new home, you will choose your flooring color AFTER the granite selection. If you are working with an existing floor, please be sure to bring a color sample along of the flooring and make sure the granite goes well with that. Although they will not be directly next to each other, you still want to make sure the colors are complimentary and work well together.
- Once you select a color that works well, make sure that you LOVE it. Don’t settle for something that looks good but you may not like. This is something that will be a defining element of your kitchen and you need to really find the color appealing in order to live with it.
- Once your final granite selection is made, ask the granite warehouse to pull out 5 or 6 slabs for you to view. Make sure the slabs are the same color and that you point out any dark/light spots or any pattern that you do not like and would like to exclude when they cut your kitchen. You may also request a revisit once they measure your kitchen so you can see what cuts they are making and how that will affect the color/pattern.
Granite countertops are a great investment for your new kitchen, so be sure to view all of the available selections and make informed decisions when choosing a color.